- About Us
- Book Discussion Groups
- Contact Us
- Join, Renew, Donate
- Membership Application
- Statement of Principles
- Videos of Meetings
- Website Administration
NPR Corporate Sponsorship Fund Drive Now Underway!
One way in which the First Coast Freethought Society promotes freethought on the First Coast is through our NPR radio messages. Each month, we announce our speakers and their presentation topics. We also announce the FCFS. It’s only with the generous support of our members and friends that the First Coast Freethought Society has been able to sustain the announcements aired on NPR affiliate WJCT, 89.9 FM radio since 2007.
Our radio announcements are funded in two ways. While our membership dues fund a portion of the cost, the bulk of the funding comes from our annual fund drive. Our goal this year is $6,500 which, combined with funds from our operating budget, will purchase 13 announcements per month from July 2016 through June 2017. We have over 100 paid members. If most of our members give $65, we will achieve our goal. Or consider contributing $60—the cost of one announcement.
Here is a Sample Announcement
“The First Coast Freethought Society supports nonreligious persons in the Northeast Florida Area, welcoming humanists, agnostics, atheists, skeptics, and freethinkers. More information at First Coast Freethought Society dot org.”
Your Help is Needed
Please, give what you can. Any amount is greatly appreciated.
To Donate on a Monthly Basis
You can now set up automatic monthly donations which you may find very convenient and easy on the budget. You can do this in two different ways.
- Use the PayPal button, above, to schedule automatic monthly donations to our NPR fund. Automatic monthly donations via PayPal require you to have a PayPal account.
- Set up automatic payments through your online banking system.
To Donate on a One-Time Basis
Should you prefer to donate on a one-time basis, here are the ways.
- Use one of the PayPal buttons, above. You do not need a PayPal account to use a major credit card.
- Send a check payable to the FCFS to P.O. Box 550591, Jacksonville, FL 32255.
- Bring your contribution to a meeting or another FCFS event and give it to a board member.
Whichever method you select, you will receive a letter from the treasurer, suitable for your IRS records, acknowledging your tax-deductible contribution.
Thank you for your support!
Monday, September 19, 2016
TALK TITLE: "Beyond My Plate: Nutrition Advice for a Long and Healthy Life"
SPEAKER: Frances V. Siver, MS, RDN, LDN; Coordinator, ISPP Program, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Brooks College of Health, University of North Florida
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: As we age, we would all like our "golden years" to truly be golden. Some ways that we can achieve this goal is to be aware of thbody's changing nutritional needs, to learn about the practical things that we can do to slow the aging process, and to discover the dietary keys in reducing chronic disease. During this presentation you will be given tools to help you reach some of your nutritional goals. Myths and misunderstandings about sound nutrition abound. Come and learn some facts!
Buckman Bridge Unitarian Universalist Church, Home of FCFS Monthly Meetings
WHERE: Buckman Bridge Unitarian Church, 8447 Manresa Ave., Jacksonville, FL 32244. (From the I-295 Roosevelt exit, go north to the first traffic light, Collins Rd. Turn right. Go 400 ft. The church driveway will be on your right. For map click http://firstcoastfreethoughtsociety.org/cms/lib/fcfs_bbuuc_map.gif)
Welcome to the First Coast Freethought Society. Now in our eighteenth year!
Founded in 1998, we are a group of freethinkers dedicated to promoting science and reason over dogma, faith, and belief in the supernatural. Our purpose is to serve the needs of the nonreligious population of Northeast Florida, promoting secular humanism, and a non-theistic outlook and approach to everyday life.
We provide a place where agnostics, atheists, freethinkers, and secular humanists can gather to hear speakers, discuss philosophy, science, and other topics of interest. We offer support to those who have rejected or are questioning their religious beliefs.
At our meetings, you will find a forum for individuals interested in learning more about humanism and freethought. Through lectures and informal discussions, we explore topics of interest and enjoy fellowship with like-minded people. Meetings are free and open to the public. In addition to monthly meetings, we offer a variety of other activities. See below. We hope to see you at a meeting or another activity that appeals to you!
The First Coast Freethought Society is a non-profit, tax-exempt, educational organization under IRS Chapter 501(c)(3).
- When: 6:30 - 8:30 p.m., the THIRD MONDAY of every month
- Where: Buckman Bridge Unitarian Universalist Church, 8447 Manresa Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32244. From the I-295 Roosevelt exit, go north to the first traffic light, Collins Rd. Turn right. Go 400 ft. The church driveway will be on your right.
- What: A formal program, usually a guest speaker, followed by questions and answers.
- When: The FIRST SUNDAY of every month. Times vary.
- Where: Locations vary, usually a Jacksonville restaurant.
- What: Click "Jacksonville" above for current book, complete reading list, meeting details, and link to join.
- When: 7:00 - 8:30 p.m., the SECOND THURSDAY of every month.
- Where: Clubhouse at a private condominium in St. Augustine (Anastasia Island).
- What: Click "St. Augustine" above for current book selection, complete reading list, and contact information.
Monthly Olive Garden Social
- When: Drinks at 6:00 p.m., dinner at 7:00, the FOURTH TUESDAY of every month
- Where: Olive Garden Restaurant, 10144 Philips Highway, Jacksonville, FL 32256, across from The Avenues Mall Order from the menu.
- What: An opportunity to learn about the FCFS, meet like-minded people, make new friends. You need not be a member to attend.
Secular Sunday in the Park
- When: 10:00 a.m., the FOURTH SUNDAY of every month
- Where: Losco Regional Park, under the pavilion, 10851 Hood Road South, Jacksonville, FL 32257
What: Conversation and coffee in the fresh air
Dignity U Wear
- This activity has been discontinued for the time being.
- Everyone can receive The First Coast FreeThinker via e-mail, view it in your browser, or download it from our website. Members are entitled to receive the U.S. Mail hard-copy version.
- A trial subscription of the hard-copy version is available for three months at no charge, following which, you need to join to continue to receive it.
- Join the FCFS Yahoo! Group, Jaxfreethought, to exchange e-mail with other freethinkers. You need not be a member of the FCFS to participate.
- To subscribe, send a blank email to jaxfreethought.
Dinners for Doubters
- Dinners for Doubters is a convenient, easy way to create an instant dinner party, get to know other freethinkers, and make new friends in intimate surroundings. It works like this: Someone decides to host a Dinner for Doubters. The host or hostess picks a date and decides how many people he or she would like to invite. A party totaling eight seems to work well, but this is entirely up to you. You may want only four! We then put a sign-up sheet at the back table at our monthly meetings, and guests sign up to attend. When the guest list is filled, the host or hostess contacts each guest to arrange the menu and who will bring what. Often, the host or hostess provides the entrée, and the guests provide a salad, beverage, vegetable, dessert, etc. But again, who brings what is entirely up to the participants. In fact, if a person whose house is very small wanted to host a dinner, they could pick a restaurant and all go Dutch. The goal of Dinners for Doubters is to allow mixing and mingling, getting to know new and different people, and to allow freethinker friendships to flourish. Consider hosting a dinner. Be watching for a Dinners for Doubters sign-in sheet at the back table!