2014 NPR Corporate Sponsorship Fund Drive Is Now Underway!
Frequently, a gradual move to new ways of thinking is the way to effect a paradigm shift. One way to achieve a gradual move towards a new way of thinking is to get an important idea out into the public sphere and keep it there. The First Coast Freethought Society has been doing just that since 2007 with our National Public Radio (NPR) announcements on radio station 89.9 WJCT-FM. Humanist and freethought ideas are being broadcast regularly to 1.5 million listeners on Florida's First Coast.
We broadcast generic messages about the FCFS, together with "special event spots" announcing the speaker and topic of each monthly meeting. The announcements are aired during prime driving time slots: mornings during Morning Edition and evenings during All Things Considered. A paradigm shift in the public perception of freethought and humanism is underway, but steady and persistent media exposure is crucial!
To keep our messages alive, we need your help. The FCFS regular operating budget funds only a quarter of our announcements. For most of our funding, we depend on your generosity. For 13 spots a month, at an average cost of $56.73 per spot, from July 2014 through June 2015, the cost is $8,850.
Our goal for the annual summer fundraising campaign is $6,638. All it takes is for 100 people to give $66.38 each (or 66 people to give $100)! But of course, any amount helps and is gratefully appreciated.
You can donate online via PayPal. You are NOT required to have a PayPal account. Scroll down on the PayPal page, and you will find where you can use any major credit card.
If you prefer to send a check, please mail it to the FCFS, Post Office Box 550591, Jacksonville, FL 32255-0591.
All donations are TAX DEDUCTIBLE under IRS Code 501(c)(3), and you will receive a letter to that effect for your income tax records.
Welcome to the First Coast Freethought Society. Now in our sixteenth year!
Founded in 1998, we are a group of freethinkers dedicated to promoting science and reason over dogma, faith, and belief in the supernatural. Our purpose is to serve the needs of the nonreligious population of Northeast Florida, promoting secular humanism, a non-theistic outlook and approach to everyday life.
We provide a place where agnostics, atheists, freethinkers, and secular humanists can gather to hear speakers, discuss philosophy, science, and other topics of interest. We offer support to those who have rejected or are questioning their religious beliefs.
At our meetings, you will find a forum for individuals interested in learning more about humanism and freethought. Through lectures and informal discussions, we explore topics of interest and enjoy fellowship with like-minded people. Meetings are free and open to the public. In addition to monthly meetings, we offer a variety of other activities. See below. We hope to see you at a meeting or another activity that appeals to you!
The First Coast Freethought Society is a non-profit, tax-exempt, educational organization under IRS Chapter 501(c)(3).
- When: 6:30 - 8:30 p.m., the THIRD MONDAY of every month
- Where: Buckman Bridge Unitarian Universalist Church, 8447 Manresa Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32244 (driveway located on Collins Rd., 400 ft. East of Roosevelt Blvd.)
- What: A formal program, usually a guest speaker, followed by questions and answers
- When: 2:00 - 3:30 p.m., the FIRST SUNDAY of every month.
- Where: Books-A-Million, 9400 Atlantic Blvd., Jacksonville, FL 32225.
- What: Follow the link above to see current book selection, past book selections, and contact information.
- When: 7:00 - 8:30 p.m., the SECOND THURSDAY of every month.
- Where: Clubhouse at a private condominium in St. Augustine (Anastasia Island).
- What: Follow the link above for current book selection, past book selections, and contact information.
Monthly Olive Garden Social
- When: Drinks at 6:00 p.m., dinner at 7:00, the FOURTH TUESDAY of every month
- Where: Olive Garden Restaurant, 10144 Philips Highway, Jacksonville, FL 32256, across from The Avenues Mall Order from the menu.
Secular Sunday in the Park
- When: 10:00 a.m., the FOURTH SUNDAY of every month
- Where: Losco Regional Park, under the pavilion, 10851 Hood Road South, Jacksonville, FL 32257
What: Conversation and coffee in the fresh air
- When: 9:00 a.m. - noon, the THIRD SATURDAY of every month (except June).
- Where: The Dignity U Wear air-conditioned warehouse, 136 North Myrtle Ave., Jacksonville, FL 32204
- What: A community outreach VOLUNTEERING opportunity
- Everyone can receive The First Coast FreeThinker via e-mail, view it in your browser, or download it from our website. Members are entitled to receive the U.S. Mail hard-copy version.
- A trial subscription of the hard-copy version is available for three months at no charge, following which, you need to join to continue to receive it.
- Join the FCFS Yahoo! Group, Jaxfreethought, to exchange e-mail with other freethinkers. You need not be a member of the FCFS to participate.
- To subscribe, send a blank email to
Dinners for Doubters
- Dinners for Doubters is a convenient, easy way to create an instant dinner party, get to know other freethinkers, and make new friends in intimate surroundings. It works like this: Someone decides to host a Dinner for Doubters. The host or hostess picks a date and decides how many people he or she would like to invite. A party totaling eight seems to work well, but this is entirely up to you. You may want only four! We then put a sign-up sheet at the back table at our monthly meetings, and guests sign up to attend. When the guest list is filled, the host or hostess contacts each guest to arrange the menu and who will bring what. Often, the host or hostess provides the entrée, and the guests provide a salad, beverage, vegetable, dessert, etc. But again, who brings what is entirely up to the participants. In fact, if a person whose house is very small wanted to host a dinner, they could pick a restaurant and all go Dutch. The goal of Dinners for Doubters is to allow mixing and mingling, getting to know new and different people, and to allow freethinker friendships to flourish. Consider hosting a dinner. Be watching for a Dinners for Doubters sign-in sheet at the back table!