- About Us
- Book Discussion Groups
- Contact Us
- Join, Renew, Donate
- Membership Application
- Statement of Principles
- Videos of Meetings
- Website Administration
Humanist Book Discussion Groups
Books may be found in the library, may be purchased from local book stores, or purchased online. The First Coast Freethought Society will receive a small remuneration, at no additional cost to you, if you go through our home page and click the Amazon link.
Humanist Book Discussion Group - Jacksonville
Rob Boston, director of communications for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, will be the guest speaker for the FCFS book group, Jacksonville. You all are invited. Bring your questions. Bring information about threats to separation of church and state. Bring your ideas for how to defend the church-state wall. We'll discuss what religious freedom means and current efforts by the Religious Right to redefine that principle in a way that harms others.
Rob will talk about his most recent book, Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn’t Give You The Right To Tell Other People What To Do. Even if you haven't read the book, please attend this important discussion. We'll be talking about what the religious freedom provisions of the First Amendment ("Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...") really mean and the challenges we face in this difficult political climate.
- When: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:30 PM
- Where: Mandarin Branch Library, 3330 Kori Road, Jacksonville, FL 32257
For further information, please contact the First Coast Freethought Society here.
The FCFS Humanist Book Discussion Group - St. Augustine meets at 7:00 p.m. on the SECOND THURSDAY of the month, in the clubhouse of a private condominium on Anastasia Island, in St. Augustine. Contact Charlie West at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information (address, directions, and gate code) and to RSVP.
• May 11, The Village Atheist: How America's Unbelievers Made Their Way in a Godly Nation, by Leigh Eric Schmidt
• April 13, 2017 - David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants, by Malcolm Gladwell
• March 9, 2017 - The Dark Net: Inside the Digital Underworld, by Jamie Bartlett
• February 9, 2017 - Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? by Frans de Waal
• January 12, 2017 - Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson, by Mitch Albom
• December 8, 2016 - Holiday Gathering
• November 10, 2016 - Liars For Jesus: The Religious Right's Alternate Version of American History, by Chris Rodda